Wednesday 25 June 2014

Juneathon Day 19: "I Think I Know Where I am Now!"

I attempted to write this yesterday but neither me or my laptop had the energy...

I finished work at 3:15pm yesterday, then walked home got changed and left the house at 4:08pm. I didn't get back home until gone 9:00pm. 

My friend Jamie suggested to me that for Juneathon I should walk to Whitstable, and for some reason I agreed, but not without dragging him into it too. He knew of a bicycle path that leads directly from Canterbury to Whitstable - Crab and Winkle Way - finding it was another issue though. 

Firstly he said that this path was near Canterbury West station, and we didn't go anywhere near there. I saw places I never had before in Canterbury before we finally joined the pathway by the University of Kent campus. The path even led adjacent to a road we'd just walked along which was frustrating.

Jamie's catch phrase for the journey was: "I think I know where I am now!"

Mine: "My legs are going to fall off!"

It was about half 5 by the time we'd reached the path and my feet ached already. Once we were on the path though at least we actually felt as though we were actually getting somewhere.



Along the route we saw countless cyclists, runners and joggers and people who were just generally fitter than us. A lot of the journey we were walking on a gravelly path and we were thankful for proper tarmac whenever we happened upon it.

We had planned to get fish and chips when we got to Whitstable, and we were so hungry as we walked (I hadn't eaten since my lunch break at 11:30am) that through most of the journey we were planning what we were going to eat. Food was basically a driving force and motivation for this journey. 

Our feet and stomachs grew excited as we neared Whitstable and could hear civilisation (most of the route was past fields, farms and more fields). Before we'd left Jamie's Dad had told us that the route ended by a Tesco's and we were so hungry and excited to be there but the time we saw it that we practically ran in. We both bought snacks to tide us over until we could find a fish and chip shop.

When we walked out of Tesco though we noticed than the skies had opened. Heavy downpours had begun and being the responsible person I am, there was a hoody in my bag - Jamie however, not so organised. He got soaked. I wasn't too bothered by the rain, I was too fussed by my empty stomach and painful feet, legs, lower back, shoulders...

It was probably about another half an hour until we found a fish and chip shop along the high street, and as we sat there eating Jamie phoned his mum to pick us up and neither had the energy to walk to the bus station and wait as originally planned.

As we made our way to his mums car we were both walking like we had pooed ourselves. We were in so much pain. I even had to massage my own feet before bed as they hurt so much.

It was a nice walk though, albeit painful. If I were to do it again though I'd definitely prefer to have a bike! I think we worked out we walked over 10 miles, and all after being on my feet all day at work!

(Will be doing today's exercise later on today and posting tomorrow as I am staying at a friend's)

BYE.

P.S please sponsor me:  https://www.justgiving.com/Shelby-Juneathon/



No comments:

Post a Comment