Saturday 21 June 2014

Juneathon Days 15 & 16: Power Walking and Power Napping

I'm playing catch-up again, but only because I have been super busy...

Day 15:

Remember how on Day 2 I finished all of my exercise with less than an hour to get ready for a hen night? Well yesterday was the hen's wedding, and this time I was determined not to be rushing about at the last minute...

My plan was to wake up early and go for a run, followed by a shower then a Doctor's appointment, and then popping to my sister's to borrow a dress before heading to the train station, travelling back to Medway, getting my eyebrows done and then getting ready for the wedding - I bet you can guess that it somehow ended up nothing like that.

What really happened was my sister needed me to go round before 12, meaning I would have to pop over before the Doctor's which then meant I had no time for either the run or the shower. A heavy application of dry shampoo and a super brisk power walk later I arrived at her house with only 15 minutes until my appointment. I was then roped into helping her edit her CV for a job application and even ended up doing it in the Doctor's waiting room and again afterwards at her house.

It was then twelve O'clock. I had four hours until my lovely eyebrow threading friend went to her retail job. Another brisk power walk later and I was back home. I packed like a crazy woman about to leave town in a hurry, which I kinda was. I then walked probably the fastest I have ever walked to the train station and made it to Chatham at 3pm, just in the nick of time really!

You're probably wondering where I found time for exercise in this day? There was certainly no time post-eyebrow thread as there was an outfit drama that I wont go into, but you see I've kind of already told you...

Yesterday's exercise may not have been an extravagant over the top workout, but I did exercise and it did hurt. After the 100 squats I'd done the previous day my above-the-knee-muscle (whatever that is) hurt, a lot. There's no way I'd have walked anywhere near as fast as I did had it not been for the severe urgency of it all!

On top of probably a total of 50mins (ish) power walking, there was also an entire evening dancing in heels which with achey above-the-knee-muscles is not an easy task.

Day 16: 

I think I have gone insane...

After about 5/6 hours sleep I dragged myself out of bed at 7am to get ready to head back to Canterbury to go to work.

Today I was thankful for ticket inspectors as if it weren't for the one today, I'd have missed my stop. Reading while tired while on a train is not a good idea.

It was a boiling and draining day and when I got home I lay on my bed and did something that used to be a rarity for me: nap. I'm not sure how long I napped for, but when I woke up I napped again.

After filling myself with tuna pasta and catching up on both How I Met Your Mother and New Girl I decided I should exercise before my comfort got the better of me.

Here's the crazy part - after all that napping and eating here's what I did: 

  • 75 squats
  • 60 burpees
  • 50 leg raises
  • 1 minute plank


... I can't believe that just happened. What has happened to me? Have I finally caught the Juneathon bug?

Here's some picture evidence #uglyselfie: 


I wrote the above bullet points out onto the blog before I'd even done them, because then I had something to strive for. The only amount left blank was the plank, because I just wanted to go for as long as possible.

When I started squating I could feel the pain from Day 14, but playing Macklemore's 'Can't Hold Us' seems to make exercise possible for me. I then did the sweatiest of the exercises - burpees. The  messy bun I had on top of my head ended up of the side (see above photo). The leg raises were a struggle after the 35+ mark, but I kept reminding myself I was over halfway and it was okay.

... Then came the plank. Previously it has taken a few seconds for my body to start shaking and giving in, but today was different. Today it felt I could bare it until about 40 seconds, which was when I allowed myself to check the stopwatch. Then I held on, and told myself I could make it to one minute and I did! Today I was my own cheerleader and it felt great.

Here's the stopwatch evidence: 

I have work tomorrow, so I hope today doesn't catch up with me too much! Come back tomorrow to find out...

Oh and before you go, just click this link for me and send me a donation? It would mean the world to me: https://www.justgiving.com/Shelby-Juneathon/



No comments:

Post a Comment